I am officially the first person to bring a piano onto The Highline Park!
...And it was an extraordinary time. The elevated park was packed with people from all over the world. I was pretty nervous because I've never played on the park but I knew the exact spot to play. Someone told me to be careful because they would kick me off immediately, but that wasnt the case. There is a large area with an Overhang and I knew that the sound would echo throughout if I played there. So I packed up my piano and found the elevator on 16th Street.
The Highline is a public park built on an historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. Read more at the High Line Web site.
Afterwards, the Italians followed me over to the center of the Meat Packing District where I played piano with Brando in front of the restaurants: Serafina and Pastis.
Day: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 1:00 PM-5:00 PM
Distance: 1.2 Miles round trip
People I met:
- I was being followed by 2 News media guys from Italy named Matteo and Francesco. They were filming me for a new show in Italy.
- I met Dave Brubeck's Grand-daughter who I spoke to for a little while. She requested the song: Take 5 and I played it for her.
- I met a woman from Brazil while I was playing "Girl from Ipanema" and she told me that I have to come down to Brazil with the piano. She said that the people there are very appreciative of music and dont worry about time. Very free mentality of life.
- I met an entire family who was eating dinner in the meatpacking district. One of them is a publisher for the Jewish Voice in NYC. He told me to send him a press release.
- I passed by Malcolm Gladwell in the MPD. I told him I'm putting in my 10,000 hours.
Stay tuned for more videos and action shots!